Internet Storm Center Infocon Status The Internet Traffic Report monitors the flow of data around the world. It then displays a value between zero and 100. Higher values indicate faster and more reliable connections.

Jun 20, 2007

The Anti-Mentor

I just finished reading an interesting article that brushed up against a theory that I've had for a while. In the article, the author refers to the "Anti-Mentor," a manager or boss that provides ample learning opportunities by way of what not to do. Specifically, the author gives reference to the "polished veneer" of his Anti-Mentor. In part, this comes down to integrity, which I discussed in a previous post. Beyond that, though, we move into the area of my theory: that such pathological disingenuous behavior is a form of psychosis. When that thought first occurred to me, it was very much tongue-in-cheek. After years of working in numerous environments, however, the facetiousness of that statement has steadily decreased. Consider the definition of psychosis from the Full American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary : "A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning." Speaking for myself, I can't count the number of times I've had one of these Anti-Mentors change personalities right in front of my eyes, or (my personal favorite) be helpful and supportive to me and then turn right around and try to sell me out in an attempt to conceal their own incompetence. It reminds me of a good ol' Southern phrase I heard a long time ago: "What do you expect from a pig, but a grunt?" I realize that a.) I am not a medical professional and am in no way qualified to make a diagnosis such as psychosis; and b.) I am stretching the definition of psychosis to (and probably past) the breaking point. Even so, it does help to cast the situation in a different light. These Anti-Mentors are infuriating to say the very least. However, it is probably worth viewing them with understanding and a touch of pity. When confronted with an Anti-Mentor, know them for what they are and expect that they will fundamentally always be true to their Anti-Mentor nature. Knowing what they are and what to expect from them makes dealing with them a little less painful.

No comments: